Saturday, January 23, 2010

To the American Indian

The other day in discussion an idea came up that bothered me. Was it possible to exhibit survivance without any clear conflict? More specifically, how can one resist when it isn't clear what one is resisting from? To the American Indian seems to be written to document, and it's not clear in its purpose. Does documenting counts as survivance? If that was the case, then almost everything would be survivance, which would be redundant and problematic. The author in the American Indian makes a point to tell certain stories over others, perhaps this concept exhibits survivance better. I'm not so sure.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great point -- can we say that anything documented is survivance? I would be inclined to think no. Although, when I think about our syllabus, it's hard for me to think of much that we rwill ead that isn't a text of survivance if the definition is so loose. Some stuff may start to come up, but I don't want to spoil it. Of course, we can't simply say that survivance is anything because then it would mean nothing.

    ReplyDelete